Thursday, May 3, 2012

Drones

Every once in awhile my Netflix Top 10 knows me so well it's scary. Did they install cameras in here or something? I picked the movie because I noticed Angela Bettis (May, Sick Girl, The Woman) on the cover. Little did I know it would take me on a Whedon-gasm trip of joy.


Along with Bettis the movie stars Jonathan M. Woodward (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Firefly) as Brian who is working a boring cubicle job. His only joy during the day is having lunch with his best buddy Clark played by Samm Levine (Freaks and Geeks) and flirting with Amy (Bettis). His world gets turned upside down when he finds out that Clark is actually an alien and he's not the only one in the office. His lady Amy is also not of the earth, but hey love is blind, right?

What made this movie awesome for me is the balance of the mundane and the out of this world. I love the fact that the whole movie takes place in the office and there is no big fancy effects for the aliens. It's like Office Space meets an episode of the Twilight Zone. The clever writing and the delivery of said cleverness from the actors had me hooked in the first couple of minutes. It's the crazy kind of crazy. Drones is available on Netflix streaming. 4 stars from me!


The movie is directed by Amber Benson (Tara of Buffy the Vampire Slayer) and Adam Busch (Warren of Buffy The Vampire Slayer)! This tickles my Buffy bone to no end. The fact that they are a couple kinda weirds me out still, I mean he killed her...run Tara run! I kid, I kid. This is the first film that they directed together, Amber has a few director credits under her belt. Adam's music was used throughout the film. I've been fortunate enough to see his band Common Rotation play a few times where I did get to meet Amber and Danny Strong (Jonathan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer). Enough geeking out on Whedonverse.... enjoy the trailer for Drones!


No comments:

Post a Comment